Thursday, August 18, 2005

A Refugee Writes (Week 32)

It's been another exhausting week, dealing with insurers who change their stories every time I speak to them, and visiting my flat - the rain forest - periodically to check on the dehumidifiers and rescue more of my stuff. On the positive front, some times I've been too tired to bother to eat so, despite not having counted a calorie for two weeks now, I have managed to lose another pound.

I didn't ask people to pay up their sponsorship last week because I feared the stress of my domestic crisis might push me back in the direction of those well-beloved cheese and ham sandwiches. But I'm remaining fairly strong so have now called in people's pledges.

My present to myself for losing the third stone last week, was Crazy Water, Pickled Lemons: Enchanting dishes from the Middle East, Mediterranean and North Africa. Enchanting indeed - once I dragged myself from the prospect of Ottoman Lamb with Sultan's Pleasure, Flower Scented Truffles and Ladies' Navels with Cardamom and Rose Syrup and Berries, there are many healthy and scrumptious recipes for me to experiment with. Date Stuffed Mackerel with Spicy Broth and Couscous is definitely worth a try, as is Arab-Andalusian Monkfish with Saffron, Honey and Vinegar - yum!

I really don't think I need buns of steel. I'd be happy with buns of cinnamon.
Ellen DeGeneres