Thursday, October 13, 2005

Postcard from Auckland, Wellington, Picton, Blenheim, Christchurch, Greymouth, Napier, Taupo, Rotorua…

Just a taster...


The jet lag has receded and I am now able to ponder on my excellent holiday, which was one of contrasts – cities versus unpopulated landscapes; people versus sheep; night-loving kiwis versus sun-loving kiwis versus green hairy kiwis; wind chill of –1 degrees versus sunburn in 24 degrees; sauvignon blanc versus more sauvignon blanc… I had an excellent time and am delighted to say I gave my diet and soggy flat hardly a thought.

With the purchase of a winter coat and the free bathrobe from my final night’s hotel deal, my suitcase expanded to a hefty 22.5kg on the return from New Zealand. I was hardly able to lift it and am eternally grateful to the inventor of wheeled cases. It occurred to me to convert these mysterious kilos to pounds using the ever helpful Google calculator. Just under 50lbs – only 4lbs more than I’ve lost since January. It was a salutary thought – I’d been carrying that around with me everywhere I went!

So there we have it – with 4lbs off this week (easy on easy off) only two thirds of a suitcase to go…

The finishing line approaches...